Next week is Suicide Prevention Week, with Tuesday Sept. 10th being World Suicide Prevention Day. I have a lot of things going on and wanted to share them with you in advance, in the hope that you will join us by participating in some way, whenever and however you can.
There is true power in sharing our experiences and bringing the conversation about mental illness and suicide into the light.
We truly are not alone in this fight. Our voices are strong! We have the power to fight suicide. We truly do. So without further ado…
What’s Happening During Suicide Prevention Week:
Monday, September 9th:
At 10am PT/1pm ET @AFSPNational will be hosting a TweetChat with @USAToday and @MayoClinic. Experts will be on hand to answer questions and raise awareness about suicide prevention and education. To participate, go to http://www.TweetChat.com, sign in and use the hashtag #SuicideChat.
At 5pm PT/8pm ET, @AFSP_WA will be joining with me @motherunadorned and @unxpctdblessing on Twitter for a TweetChat about postpartum mood disorders and suicide. To participate, go to http://www.TweetChat.com, sign in and use the hashtag #PPDChat.
Stella & Dot Fundraiser:
On Monday, I am kicking off a Stella & Dot Fundraiser to support my Seattle Out of the Darkness Walk for the AFSP Washington State Chapter. Thank you to Stella & Dot Stylist Laurie for offering to donate 50% of her commissions directly to my walk fundraising page. To visit the Online-Only Trunk Show and buy Stella & Dot jewelry and products to support suicide prevention, go here: http://www.stelladot.com/ts/gs8s5 A great chance to buy holiday gifts and help me raise funds! The link will be live for 3 weeks.
Tuesday, September 10th:
World Suicide Prevention Day:
At 8pm (your local time), we are lighting a candle in a window to show support for suicide prevention and to remember those loved ones lost to suicide. Please join us.
Also During the Week:
I’ll be featuring posts from brave individuals who want to share their experiences with suicide loss and/or with their personal struggles fighting mental illness and suicidal thoughts. Again, I think there is power is sharing, and strength in knowing we are not alone. I encourage you to support these guest writers with your comments and shares.
Social Media Shares:
Raise your voice with me on social media about suicide prevention. Please consider RTing, pinning, and sharing mine, or adding your own voice to the conversation. We’d like to get the message out there that we “Support a #WorldWithoutSuicide” such as:
- I support a #WorldWithoutSuicide
- I hope for a #WorldWithoutSuicide
- I live for a #WorldWithoutSuicide
- I pray for a #WorldWithoutSuicide
You might also share tweets like this one including a link back to AFSP.org where people can learn more about prevention and get further involved, such as:
- Today 9/10 is World Suicide Prevention Day. Learn about suicide risk factors & save lives. Visit afsp.org #WorldWithoutSuicide
If you use Instagram, consider recording a short video saying “I support a World Without Suicide because…” and tag @afspnational and @AFSP_WA and include #WorldWithoutSuicide. (FYI, AFSP will have several celebrities and other influencers create their own videos, which will be compiled. We ask your help in sharing with the hope that this goes viral.)
Also AFSP would like to debunk common suicide myths by sharing Tweets like the ones below. Please share these Tweets if you are so inspired.
- Fact: Suicide can be prevented, even once someone has “made up their mind”. Learn more at afsp.org #WorldWithoutSuicide
- Fact: Asking someone if they are thinking about suicide can save their life. Learn more at afsp.org #WorldWithoutSuicide
- Fact: Middle age adults in the U.S. have the highest suicide rate, not teenagers. Learn more at afsp.org #WorldWithoutSuicide
- Fact: 90% of people who take their own life have a mental illness. Learn more @ afsp.org #WorldWithoutSuicide
- Fact: Safe gun storage and bridge barriers save lives and reduce suicide. Learn more afsp.org #
- Fact: Those who talk about suicide are at risk and need your attention. Learn more at afsp.org #WorldWithoutSuicide
- Fact: Treatment works. You are not alone. Reach out for help. Learn more at afsp.org #WorldWithoutSuicide
Please don’t forget, I’ll be kicking off my Stop Suicide Auction 2.0 on Wednesday September 25th. I just put out a Call for Donations that you can find here. I would greatly appreciate your donations of products or services. Donors will receive an individual blog post, social media links and heavy promotion. Thank you for your consideration!