Since John has been gluten free for a while, I came up with this stuffing recipe a few years ago for Thanksgiving. And its always been a huge hit. This year I’ve modified it to also remove the dairy for the kiddos.
It. is. SO. Yum. If I do say so myself!
MANGO CASHEW CORNBREAD STUFFING (Modified Gluten & Dairy Free)
· 2 (9 inch) pan gluten-free cornbread, cooled, crumbled. Do this same day for a more moist and delicious finished product! Finding true gluten free corn bread mix is hard so if you can’t find it, pick up a gluten-free bread mix and make it with 2 parts bread mix, 1 part cornmeal and 1 part corn flour. Follow instructions on the bread mix.
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 3/4 cup butter (or margarine for dairy-free)
· 2 cups vegetable broth
· 1 cup chopped dried mango
· 1/2 cup chopped cashews
· 3 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 3 quart casserole dish.
2. Melt the butter or margarine in a heavy saucepan, and saute the onion, mango and cashews until very tender.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cornbread, stuffing mix, parsley, and salt. Mix in the onion mixture, veg stock, and beaten eggs.
4. Spoon dressing into prepared casserole dish.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until heated through, and lightly browned on top.
I hope some of you have a chance to use this recipe for U.S. Thanksgiving!